the lines are still good

Follow the happenings of an animated college tennis coach and his teams in their pursuit of an NCAA National Tennis Championship. It is always the impressive trophy that is displayed for all to admire that gets the attention, but it is the journey to claiming that trophy, the relationships built, the people served and the memories created, that live forever...and what I hope you will find interesting...

Saturday, May 15, 2010

What a long strange trip its been...

The Magic Bus came to a screeching halt in the Final Four as we lost to Barry 5-0. Our opponent was just a little too tough for us as we seemed to get off to a slow start everywhere. Of course, when you get to this level in the tournament, and compete versus the highest level of competition, you simply cannot afford to be sluggish. It was really all about which team was able to rise to the moment and Barry was that team. I wish them good luck in the final versus Valdosta.

I apologize for the delay in this post but this was a tough loss. So many things were going through my head and I just could not bring myself to start typing...not sure I would have made it through without the typing of some curse words.

I really wanted a trophy of another kind for the players, administrators and our Clipper community. We have had a great season and I have really enjoyed myself. I think we did many things right. I hope that the players had fun as well and have learned from the experience. Perhaps they have collected many fond memories to be stored away for a long time.

A special thank you to Alex who will be leaving our team after four seasons of participation. A coach once told me that the best thing about seniors is that they do not come back next year. I could not disagree with him more. I always miss my seniors and am grateful for their contributions. Alex joins the group of "former Clippers" but will always be a part of our Concordia Tennis Family. Best of luck in your future endeavors. I have no doubt that you will set school records in cross country, I am just not sure which records.

Now the challenge goes out to the returning players. They will need to get better if they expect to continue the success. There will only be one Magic Bus as next year they must start another journey. Be diligent over the summer and strive for excellence.

Now for the tough part. This is not easy to write. This has been a great year but also a tough year for me. So many things going on in life. So many things. When I started this coaching journey I was interested in strength and conditioning for the players, tennis specific. Shortly thereafter I was back on the court both playing and coaching. I developed a hunger to become #1 in the region and to advance to the National Sweet 16. Once I got here six years ago, I got the urge to win a National Championship, a passion really. I have always tried my best. I have not always made the right decisions at times but the effort was there I promise you. Well, no Championship, but some results that I am proud of. Results not limited to actions on the tennis court alone but also in the classroom and in the community.

Friends, this is my stop. It is time for me to hop off the bus. It has been such a great ride for me and I love you all for what you have done. Receiving the Assistant Coach of the Year award on the National level is something very special to me and please know that I have this as a result of your contributions, love and support. My most sincere thanks to my tennis family.

May God bless you. It has been nice playing with you!

Nuff said...

2 comments:

  1. Please do not make a quick decision. Lets sit back and have time to digest what you have accomplished. The "Magic" bus ride has just begun, and you cant get off the bus that easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bus is not "Magic" without you anymore!

    ReplyDelete