the lines are still good

Follow the happenings of an animated college tennis coach and his teams in their pursuit of an NCAA National Tennis Championship. It is always the impressive trophy that is displayed for all to admire that gets the attention, but it is the journey to claiming that trophy, the relationships built, the people served and the memories created, that live forever...and what I hope you will find interesting...

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Oh my brother...

Watched a good portion of the Monfils vs. Fognini match today at the French Open and was quite interested. I gotta say, it is quite amusing that these announcers badgered Fognini throughout the entire first three sets suggesting that he had no character and was just the type of player to lay down and give away a match when things were not going his way. They could not have been more wrong could they?

I mean Fognini, playing not only Monfils, but also the French crowd all pulling for the Frenchman, could easily have bowed out in straight sets and hit the showers, collected his check and hit the cafe for an overpriced croissant. This would have made the idiot announcers look pretty smart. But no! Fognini, showing great character, tremendous toughness and flashing great tennis fought back and leveled the match in the fifth and final set when the match was called due to darkness past 10pm local time.

Honestly, I am getting tired of watching tennis with the sound on. I find these guys and gals (announcers) as annoying as American Idol's William Hung singing. For some reason, every tennis announcer no longer refers to a player by his or her name. Now it is only where they are from. The Frenchman, the American, the Serb. Also, it's the American backhand, the Argentine serve, or the Indian volley. Simply ANNOYING!!! Lastly, what is the deal with Justin Gimmelslob? That cheesy permanent fake smile. I just can't take it. I love to watch tennis. I love the game. Funny though, I almost prefer to watch my college team play or Coach Neil's USTA squad. This way I can provide the commentary and you know I like the sound of my own voice :)

What do you think?

Nuff said...

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. Concordia Tennis is WAY more enjoyable than the current tour--with the exception of some Federer & Nadal matches--but, for sure, with the sound off!

    ReplyDelete