the lines are still good

Follow the happenings of an animated college tennis coach and his teams in their pursuit of an NCAA National Tennis Championship. It is always the impressive trophy that is displayed for all to admire that gets the attention, but it is the journey to claiming that trophy, the relationships built, the people served and the memories created, that live forever...and what I hope you will find interesting...

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Horrendous...


Yes folks "horrendous" that is the word that comes to mind at this particular junction. Why Coach Dano you ask??? Well Coach Dano just humbly spent a couple of hours on the tennis court and the word horrendous just about sums it up.

Tennis is truly a great sport. Moreover, it is a lifelong sport. Anyone can enjoy tennis at any level correct? Wrong! Not me. Honestly, I have been away from the practice court for far too long and to close to the buffet table far too often. Also, Ben & Jerry's / Mr. Softee...yummy. I remember when I was practicing with the team at least three days per week as my hospital schedule allowed. I remember practicing in the early morning with Roddy Teixeira before work in preparation for old man USTA 35 and over tournaments, wining several. I remember throwing severe beatings to Borrelli when he was playing #1 singles at Concordia. My how things have changed.

I am pleased to report that current Clipper Andrey Boldarev is excited about his tennis and is preparing to play some competitive local tournaments as well as some ITF futures this summer. I, today, enjoyed putting him through some hitting drills and getting in some hitting myself. But good God man, my tennis game has gone to the WC (that stands for water closet for those playing along at home), in other words the toilet. Secondly, here is a free tip for you all, you can't hit the ball if you can't get to it. I mean, what the holy heck. I move like a dead cow, molasses, a turtle with a snail on his back, the college services department at Concordia. Ok, you get the idea. SLOWLY!


One of the hardest things to do is to play and enjoy a game that you can't play the same way anymore. Frustrating. Of course, I realize that, despite my serve and volley style, I was never going to be confused with Stefan Edberg, but still my game has deteriorated to a level that is difficult to enjoy. Yes, yes, I know, I must learn to accept this fact and find a way to still enjoy the opportunity to play at whatever level that may be. Perhaps heavy drinking may help, who knows. Well, one good thing comes to mind that didn't hit me until just now: Nothing hurts at this very moment. Now there is a "win".


Decision time! Three choices...

1. Simply devote more time to practice and play, in addition to losing 20lbs, to get back to a suitable level that I can be happy with.

2. Learn to accept this current state of horrendousness and enjoy the opportunity to play and enjoy the fellowship with others on the court and everything else that goes with the game of tennis.

3. Quit!

Maybe I will even create poll on the side of the blog. Feel free to cast your vote or leave a comment. Something has to be done.

Nuff said...

1 comment:

  1. The answer is clear! Choice #1 is the right one! PS, Choice #3 is the one the "Coach in the Spotlight" selected so...

    ReplyDelete