the lines are still good

Follow the happenings of an animated college tennis coach and his teams in their pursuit of an NCAA National Tennis Championship. It is always the impressive trophy that is displayed for all to admire that gets the attention, but it is the journey to claiming that trophy, the relationships built, the people served and the memories created, that live forever...and what I hope you will find interesting...

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

On to the Quarters...

 

Good news folks.  We were able to get up early and win our first match here in Arizona 5-1 over a tough Northwest Missouri team that was well coached and ready to play.  We advance to face Lander University tomorrow.  The good news is that we have an extra hour in the morning as the start time is 8am PST.

Truthfully, we didn't get the strongest of warm ups as we elected for as much sleep as possible.  A calculated risk I suppose but the maximum rest is important and will come in handy tomorrow and going forward, so a risk worth taking.

I was really impressed with Dani and Benas today as they were all business right from the spin of the racquet.  Both players are taking the court with supreme confidence and won handily 6-0, 6-0 and will hopefully lead the team in these next few days.  If we can get Tomasz and Andrey playing at their best, we are going to be a tough out.  I do feel like this was a good start and that even better things are to come.


It was a bit of a tough morning as a 7am start is somewhat odd for a national championship event.  The players had to rise to the occasion as we did have to attend the NCAA reception last night which lasted until 9pm or so.  Whereas I think the athletes mostly prefer a nice sit down banquet, I still think that they had a nice time.  Too bad that the food was marginal at best and long lines to go with it.

I keep hearing for NCAA committee members that "this is a championship" so certain things need to be done a certain way, but with so many things that are not up to par, it is clear that this phrase is selectively used.  Oh well.  We are glad to be here and will do everything our way to be successful and so that the player's have a great experience.


On a personal note, I must thank the team and the ITA for the National Coaching Award.  Clearly, without great players there would be no such award going back to NY.  I am lucky to be a part of this great group and also thankful that Coach Neil has allowed me to do my thing all of these years.  I have learned everything I know about tennis from him.  It seems crazy to me that he has yet to be Nationally recognized and I know that he will be very soon.

Not sure what we will do this afternoon but I suspect rest and shade will be front and center.  We did do some nice sightseeing yesterday in the desert but today we will take it easy for sure.  We will likely get some lunch later and I think I will go out for a run in the park and visit my new animal friends.  I hope to get there for the sunset feeding as I am pretty sure they are expecting me.




My pond friends...
 
So long folks.  Chat with you later.

Nuff said...

No comments:

Post a Comment