the lines are still good

Follow the happenings of an animated college tennis coach and his teams in their pursuit of an NCAA National Tennis Championship. It is always the impressive trophy that is displayed for all to admire that gets the attention, but it is the journey to claiming that trophy, the relationships built, the people served and the memories created, that live forever...and what I hope you will find interesting...

Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Good Morning...

 

Hello Clipper fans!

With the three hour time change I was up at 4:30am just waiting for breakfast and the sunrise.  Very quiet this year in the hotel as there is no significant area for congregation like the hotels for the nationals in the past.  In any case, once the sun came up, I went out to explore the neighborhood and of course, had the buffet breakfast.  Gotta give a shout out the the Holiday Inn Express cinnamon rolls...

Surprise, AZ is a city simply dropped into the desert.  Plenty of sandy waste area around.  However, the tennis center and surrounding grounds are full of splendor and an oasis for the eyes.  Plenty of green grass, parks and recreation space and an abundance of sunshine.  Just around the corner from the hotel is a man-made lake stocked with fish, an assortment of wildlife and a convenient path around the perimeter.  Anyone who knows me well is aware of my life-long leisure activity of feeding the ducks at local ponds.  I have seized some tasty treats from the breakfast that I am sure my feathered friends will enjoy at sunset.  

Yes, that's me on the right (Minnesota circa the late 1960's)
So far many have been slightly skeptical of the NCAA's handling of certain aspects of the Championship.  Clearly, the 7am start time for tomorrow is a little inappropriate for a championship and having the student athletes (not professionals) get up at 4:30am to prepare for the most important match of the season.  There are other concerns as well.  However, on the flip side, the site is terrific.  The courts are solid and they are just one half mile from the hotel.  I am looking forward to getting out there at 10am (PST).

In any case, I will remind the players to apply plenty of sun screen and avoid the dehydration.  I will do so myself as well so I can enjoy a few adult beverages a little later on.  I look forward to the day and hope that the players will have a great experience!  I really hope that this is something special that the team will remember for a long time, especially the seniors.

Maybe I can convince one of the guys to join me for the late afternoon feeding...


For now...nuff said...

No comments:

Post a Comment