the lines are still good

Follow the happenings of an animated college tennis coach and his teams in their pursuit of an NCAA National Tennis Championship. It is always the impressive trophy that is displayed for all to admire that gets the attention, but it is the journey to claiming that trophy, the relationships built, the people served and the memories created, that live forever...and what I hope you will find interesting...

Saturday, December 01, 2012

The End...



Well folks, that's all she wrote for the fall semester as far as tennis is concerned.  According to NCAA legislation, Rule 17.1.6.2.5 in case you were wondering, just a small paragraph of the ridiculously cumbersome and over-bearing 358 page finely printed 2012-2013 NCAA manual, countable athletically related activity (CARA) must cease after 11/30/12, yesterday.  Essentially, the NCAA decrees that no supervised athletic activities in our sport may take place from one week prior to our final exam period through the end of the semester.

Of course, it is becoming increasingly difficult to remember my college days but as I recall, I was a pretty decent student.  I approached my studies, and especially final exams, seriously.  Further, we expect our student athletes to succeed in the classroom as demonstrated in both teams achieving ITA All Academic status last season.  However, I am pretty certain that I did not completely cease all other activity so as to prepare.  In fact, I thought is was important to continue with my conditioning and/or athletics to clear my mind and to relieve any stress that may have accumulated.  Well, sadly, the NCAA feels that 6 weekly hours of plyometric conditioning out of 168 total hours in the week is unreasonable and far too taxing.  Oh well...


That being said, our conditioning segment was quite successful as the players have performed well and have shown  measurable increases.  The team surely understands that their fitness is, and will be, vital next semester.  We will play top competition and need to be ready physically, mentally and emotionally for the grind which hopefully culminates in Surprise, Arizona and near 100 F degree temperatures.  We are still learning and thankfully it is only December.  I like my team this year and think we have a chance to be special in May if we prepare properly.  

Some of the key notions that have been stressed:
  • the importance of playing every point hard / not taking points off
  • closing time / finishing strong
  • never quitting 
  • playing for each other and being an unselfish teammate 

A special shout out to Clipper alum Doug O'Connell '89.  My good friend and former teammate has challenged himself to train side-by-side with the fellas and has represented the 45 and overs well.  It has been a pleasure to have him with us and he has added something special to the sessions.  The team looks forward to having Doug involved in the spring.  I think they especially like hearing some of the old stories of my playing days including my always respectful behavior and interactions with the coach...


Other notes:
  • I received a call from former Clipper Henning Ruenz this week.  Henning is back in Germany and currently working for Volkswagen.  He sends his regards to everyone and looks forward to returning to campus in the near future.
  • The team looks forward to the arrival of 2 players next semester.  More on that to come later...
  • Our women's team will also have some key additions.  Announcements forthcoming.  I have had so much fun coaching on the women's side and look forward to advancing our ranking.
Well, that's all for now Clipper-nation.  Check back frequently for updates and by all means join this site as a follower for improved access.  

Nuff said...

No comments:

Post a Comment