the lines are still good

Follow the happenings of an animated college tennis coach and his teams in their pursuit of an NCAA National Tennis Championship. It is always the impressive trophy that is displayed for all to admire that gets the attention, but it is the journey to claiming that trophy, the relationships built, the people served and the memories created, that live forever...and what I hope you will find interesting...

Thursday, December 13, 2012

It's the end of the semester as we know it...(click the title)



End of the semester greetings everyone!!!

No more homework, no more books, no more teacher's dirty looks.  Players have survived 12/12/12, have taken their finals and many have already boarded planes headed home for the holidays. 

This is always a bit of a tough time for a coach.  Even though one gets a little break from the teams and subsequent practices, matches, strength and conditioning sessions and so on, there is also a downside.  I guess I am always a little concerned about this month off.  I am keenly aware that for us to be successful in May, we must continue with our preparation.  This is not always easy as the players must do this on their own mostly.  There are certainly the temptations to relax more than usual and to avoid tennis and conditioning in favor of reconnecting with friends and family.  As fortune would have it, the players have received a reasonable conditioning packet for the break which will not only keep them in shape but will also enhance their fitness levels and ensure that we hit the ground running in January upon our return to the courts.  I know that the team desires to be special this year and I am therefore certain that all will judiciously follow the program.  I have this trust.  We are a players first program and that must also mean that the players want to win and are willing to do the work. 


I too will be preparing.  I celebrated just a little too much this past Thanksgiving and have grown larger.  The team will see a new and improved Coach when they return for the spring semester.  You have my word.  Now, I am not saying that I will be joining them for the plyos but I will be fitting into my uniform for sure.  I guarantee it.

I wish everyone safe travels.

Nuff said...

No comments:

Post a Comment