the lines are still good

Follow the happenings of an animated college tennis coach and his teams in their pursuit of an NCAA National Tennis Championship. It is always the impressive trophy that is displayed for all to admire that gets the attention, but it is the journey to claiming that trophy, the relationships built, the people served and the memories created, that live forever...and what I hope you will find interesting...

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Athletic Banquet...

Tonight we celebrated athletics and the 2009-2010 year of the student athlete. In what I believe to be the most important athletic function of the year, Concordia held its Sports Awards Dinner, and a good time was had by all.

It is always nice to see the young adults dressed in vestments other than sweats and athletic gear and to present the accomplishments that they have achieved throughout the year. All teams were well represented and it truly has been a good year for sports teams in Clipperville.

As usual John Bahr prepared a fine message which proved to be inspirational. Also, a tasty meal was served just the way I like it...free!!! In the words of Martin Luther King Jr. "The time is always right to do what is right." I must admit that the hard working athletic department staff did a really nice job with the evening and made everyone in attendance feel like they are apart of something special here at the college.

As far as the tennis team is concerned, Coach Neil prepared and delivered his customary 30 minute presentation. Some joke about the length of the Tarangioli production was in the air but I really believe it is important to spend some time praising our tennis family for their many fine accomplishments over the course of the season. People should know about the greatness that they have achieved both on and off the court.

Of course the highlight of every athletic banquet is the presentation of the awards. Andreas Lindell was presented with the Male Freshman of the Year award. Andreas has had a terrific start to his career as a Clipper and we expect great things from him in the future. He is a special young man capable of great success. Also, Alex Grubin was awarded the highest honor the department awards a male student athlete, the Mickey Byrne Award. Always a pleasure to see the Murphy family in attendance to present this special honor. Alex truly deserves this award and we hope it is just the first of many honors to come his way in the next few weeks.

In addition, my new friend Yuliya Plevako of the women's tennis team was presented with the Female Freshman of the Year Award. Yuliya was become famous for her ability to win matches in speedy fashion.

Lastly, and something that is very special to me, Cristina Oliveira of the women's tennis team, received the Esther Petzke Rockhill Award for excellence in women's athletics. As you may have guessed, this award is named for my mother, who established a special tradition of athletics in the Christian tradition here at the college. I really love being able to present this award each year and am really quite pleased when it is presented to such a fine young woman like Cristina. I am very proud of my parents and their contributions to Concordia Athletics and hope that I am able to continue what they started in my own small way.

I seem to have created a monster with my "Magic Bus" theme. That being said, if you are looking for a hobby or for an athletic program to support, hop on the Magic Bus of CC Athletics.

Thanks and congratulations to all of the many fine student athletes and the faculty and staff lending their support. This college has provided so much for me and I really enjoy my mission here and being associated with you all. Best of luck to all graduating seniors. Be well.

I guess that is about all I have tonight.

Nuff said...

4 comments:

  1. Not sure how long I'll be around, but, certainly happy & thankful that we got to spend another year together. You have contributed something special & rare and I will always be grateful. So, Clipper Fans, join us on that Magic Bus ride! May the Force be with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. None of us really know when the Magic Bus will drop us off at our final destination. All we can do is enjoy the ride and the stops made along the way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and, make sure we have a lot of fuel...Nuff said!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a fan of the Who but I prefer the Tommy album ! However, coach Dan has created this blog and the Magic Bus theme and I would like to concur - This has been a magical year ! Although the competition has been somewhat suspect at times, I know this is a great group of young men ! All year I have felt a bond with these guys and if the Bus leaves Orlando with the ultimate prize.... I suspect I will be leaving Orlando with a lot less hair on my head ...
    Go Clippers !!!

    ReplyDelete