the lines are still good

Follow the happenings of an animated college tennis coach and his teams in their pursuit of an NCAA National Tennis Championship. It is always the impressive trophy that is displayed for all to admire that gets the attention, but it is the journey to claiming that trophy, the relationships built, the people served and the memories created, that live forever...and what I hope you will find interesting...

Sunday, December 20, 2009

A blessed man...

If you are a loyal reader or frequent visitor to this blog, you will know that I attended the wedding of Vish and Michelle Varghese this past Saturday. Outside of mentioning that the extravaganza took place during a substantial winter storm, yet turned out to be marvelous and special, many other thoughts were traveling through my head.

Now, most of you who know me well probably would not describe me as a sentimental man (although I really am at times) so this read may surprise some. Of course, I was heavily involved in tennis through college and a few years thereafter. However, I set the racquets, that are now antiques, down somewhere in the basement, or gave them away to friends when I decided that I no longer enjoyed playing and saw no future in tennis as a career. After about a decade away from the game, I came back to tennis and started to coach and implement strength and conditioning programs for the clippers. I started this as a way to honor my parents who were involved with the college and to give to a program that provided for me. However, sitting there at Vish’s wedding, I realized something else...

I am a very blessed person! I have the opportunity to meet and be apart of so many people’s lives from all over the world. Who knows if that is a good thing for them, but I know it is for me. In any case, let me continue. There I was enjoying a Greek beer (perhaps enjoying is a gracious term in describing the beverage experience) and my delicious dinner as my attention turned to the folks both at my table and the table adjacent. Seated were many former players, most of whom I recruited to Bronxville, and gentleman that I now call friends. Some came alone and some attended with spouses, significant others and/or friends. Regardless, I watched as everyone genuinely enjoyed themselves, and most notably, each other. For me, it was very gratifying to see so many make great effort to travel in terrible weather conditions and from far away places like Spain, Brazil, Morocco, India, and yes, Bronxville to be together and celebrate...together. Interestingly, it also seemed like, even though some had not seen each other for over a year or even longer, that no time had really passed. Friendships just picked right up as if they had seen each other the previous day. I felt a sense of great joy and comfort seeing this closeness and also that these guys had grown up from madcap college guys to mature young men, husbands, fathers and successful business people. In addition, the bonds that they have formed with each other are something special that I hope will never be broken.


At the beginning of each tennis year, we ask the players to submit a list of personal goals for the upcoming season and semester. In addition, the players are given a list of the Coaches goals. One coaches goal that often gets a funny look is: Every player makes a life-long friend. It was quite clear that this goal is really one of the most important, one that has been met by the vast majority of those going through the program, and certainly one that has been met by my fellow wedding attendees and even yours truly. I would bet this goal is better understood now.

Perhaps I am just getting old, or maybe simply suffering from the effects of too many Greek beers, but today is a happy day for me. I am very thankful to have been included in the special day and I will not soon forget how lucky I am to be associated with so many fine individuals. It is worth repeating that I am a blessed man. How great to play somewhat of a role in the development of other people’s lives. Even greater to see what they have done with those lives. I wish you all similar blessings.

Nuff said...

No comments:

Post a Comment