the lines are still good

Follow the happenings of an animated college tennis coach and his teams in their pursuit of an NCAA National Tennis Championship. It is always the impressive trophy that is displayed for all to admire that gets the attention, but it is the journey to claiming that trophy, the relationships built, the people served and the memories created, that live forever...and what I hope you will find interesting...

Thursday, March 07, 2013

Good start...

 

Our spring trip, and I use the term "spring" loosely,  not that it is actually spring even in Florida, has started pretty well with two wins.  Temps struggled to get out of the 40's for the first few days in the sunshine state but at least there was indeed some sunshine to go with the cold, windy days. 

We were able to sneak out a win at Embry-Riddle Monday, the NAIA's #1 ranked team.  This is always a difficult match being our first day out of doors playing tennis.  In addition, ERAU always has a great team with players that are willing to do the work up and down the lineup.  I was pleased with most of the play as I really just was looking for the team to compete well, win or lose.  Well, I wanted to win too...We always seem to get exactly what we are looking for in the ERAU match.  It is always competitive, the conditions are fairly tough, and ERAU always fights for every point which makes us do the work so as to prepare for the matches to come.  I am so thankful that we are able to play this match and always enjoy chats with Coach Paschal who is a good guy and a great coach.

Our second match of the trip was a good one.  With a quick turn around time wise, as we returned to the condos after 9pm Monday night, we played and defeated Augusta State, the 9th ranked team in NCAA D2.  It was nice to be able to play this match close to "home" here at Flagler College and early in the day at 9:30am so as to have some free afternoon time.  


Wednesday was a day off so to speak although we did spend some time on the practice courts to get better.  I hope that we did and continue to do so.  I did a little sight seeing with Andrey as we headed over to the St. Augustine lighthouse and took some photos and got a nice history lesson.  We ended the day with a team dinner cooked up by Chef Tarangioli.  Delicious baked ziti with garlic bread was served and we are all certainly carbo-loaded for the near future for sure. 


Up early today with a visit to the complex gym.  Workout creativity reigns supreme as there is not a lot of equipment to work with.   That being said, I give a shout out to all the old timers that are there and putting in the time.  I like being called "young fella" as well.  I did break down and make a purchase at GNC as I really needed a protein fix.  I hate to support this overpriced retail organization but I had no choice.  GNC SUCKS!

We will head over to Flagler, who is #33 in D2, for a 2:30pm match.  We have a lengthy history with Flagler which began with only losses.  However, in recent years, we have come out of my favorite place in D2 tennis with wins.  I have pretty much made it known that I will be the next coach at Flagler if they will have me.

Friday we will be taking on Armstrong Atlantic, the #1 ranked team in D2.  This is a great challenge as, in my opinion, this is the best program in the country.  I always look forward to playing this team as, for me, they are the standard and the measuring stick.  These guys just flat out do it better than I do and I really want to get into their class.  It is difficult to be on that level this early in the season, but I really like my team and will certainly learn things from this match.


I will be back later and hope to have good news for you.

He's coming...


Nuff said...

No comments:

Post a Comment