the lines are still good

Follow the happenings of an animated college tennis coach and his teams in their pursuit of an NCAA National Tennis Championship. It is always the impressive trophy that is displayed for all to admire that gets the attention, but it is the journey to claiming that trophy, the relationships built, the people served and the memories created, that live forever...and what I hope you will find interesting...

Friday, January 28, 2011

Signs Of Life...


Well here we are three weeks into the season. Snow, snow and more snow, not to mention the cold. For some reason we have been a little stale as a team. We left for the semester break in December a pretty hungry bunch that was working hard and giving effort in every task including the conditioning. However, we returned struggling to get any traction on the tennis court. Perahps the Grinch stole our hunger.

Now, I don't mean to be so harsh as there has been some good and being that I have actually played quite a few days, I have not had my eyes on all courts, but as whole, we are better than we have showed. Who knows, maybe I could just be a grumpy coach due to a long and getting longer winter season.

Unfortunately, I am a fair amount ill and the right arm is struggling to hold up to the daily grind of tennis play. As a result, I was on the sidelines yesterday and guess what...yesterday, we showed signs of life. The conditioning session was better, the play was better, effort was better, and I am happier. Of course, I did have to break some chops and make sure we are all working for the same thing and still have the common goals for the semester. Still, it was nice to see the team playing closer to potential.

I hope to ease my way out of bed today and make it to practice. I am excited to see if the trend will continue. Traditionally, the team improves quite a bit in this "preseason" stretch as we await our first match 2/11/11 vs. STAC. I hope that we are now on the right track and have found our way. With years of this under my belt now, I know where we need to be and what it is going to take to be our best when the time comes to compete for championships. I hope that the team is begining to understand the same.

Moving forward together for the greater good of this team.

Nuff said...

No comments:

Post a Comment